BYDUREON (exenatide extended-release) and BYDUREON BCise may cause serious side effects, including:
- POSSIBLE THYROID TUMORS, INCLUDING CANCER Tell your healthcare provider if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, or shortness of breath. These may be symptoms of thyroid cancer. In animal studies, BYDUREON and medicines that work like it caused thyroid tumors, including thyroid cancer. It is not known if BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise will cause thyroid tumors or a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) in people
- Do not use BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise if you or any of your family members have ever had MTC or if you have an endocrine system condition called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2)
- Do not use BYDUREON BCise if you have a history of low blood platelet count from using exenatide medicines (drug-induced thrombocytopenia)
- Do not use BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise if you have had an allergic reaction to exenatide or any of the other ingredients in BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise
- Do not share your injection device or needles with another person. You may give another person an infection or get an infection from them
- Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) Stop using BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise and call your healthcare provider right away if you have severe pain in your stomach area (abdomen) that will not go away, with or without vomiting. You may feel the pain from your abdomen to your back
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) Your risk for getting low blood sugar may be higher if you use BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise with another medicine that can cause low blood sugar, such as a sulfonylurea or insulin. Tell your healthcare provider if you take other diabetes medicines. Talk to your healthcare provider about managing low blood sugar. dizziness or lightheadedness, sweating, confusion or drowsiness, headache, blurred vision, slurred speech, shakiness, fast heartbeat, anxiety, irritability, mood changes, hunger, weakness, or feeling jittery
- Kidney problems Tell your healthcare provider if you have or had kidney problems. In people who have kidney problems, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting may cause a loss of fluids (dehydration), which may cause kidney problems to get worse or kidney failure
- Stomach problems Tell your healthcare provider if you have severe problems with your stomach, such as slowed emptying of your stomach (gastroparesis) or problems digesting food. Other medicines like BYDUREON and BYDUREON BCise may cause severe stomach problems. It is not known if BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise cause or worsen stomach problems
- Low blood platelet count BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise may cause the number of platelets in your blood to be reduced. When your platelet count is too low, your body cannot form blood clots. You could have serious bleeding that could lead to death. Stop using BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise and call your healthcare provider right away if you have unusual bleeding or bruising
- Serious allergic reactions Stop using BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise and get medical help right away if you have any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including itching, rash, or difficulty breathing
- Injection-site reactions Serious injection-site reactions, with or without bumps (nodules), have happened in some people who use BYDUREON. Some of these injection-site reactions have required surgery. Call your healthcare provider if you have any symptoms of injection-site reactions, including severe pain, swelling, blisters, an open wound, or a dark scab
- Gallbladder problems have happened in some people who take BYDUREON or other medicines like it. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you get symptoms of gallbladder problems including pain in the right or middle upper stomach area, nausea and vomiting, fever, or your skin or the white part of your eyes turns yellow
The most common side effects with BYDUREON may include nausea, diarrhea, headache, vomiting, constipation, itching at the injection site, a small bump (nodule) at the injection site, and indigestion.
The most common side effects with BYDUREON BCise may include a bump at the injection site and/or nausea. Nausea is most common when you first start using BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise, but decreases over time in most people as their body gets used to the medicine.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements, as taking them with BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise may affect how each medicine works.
Before using BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise, tell your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, nursing, or plan to become pregnant or nurse. BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise may harm your unborn baby.
- BYDUREON and BYDUREON BCise are both injectable prescription medicines that may improve blood sugar (glucose) in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus, and should be used along with diet and exercise
- BYDUREON and BYDUREON BCise are not recommended as the first choice of medicine for treating diabetes
- BYDUREON and BYDUREON BCise are not substitutes for insulin and are not for people with type 1 diabetes or people with diabetic ketoacidosis
- It is not known if BYDUREON and BYDUREON BCise can be used with mealtime insulin
- Do not use BYDUREON, BYDUREON BCise, BYETTA or other medicines containing exenatide together
- It is not known if BYDUREON or BYDUREON BCise can be used in people with a history of pancreatitis
Please click here for Medication Guide, and click here for Full Prescribing Information for BYDUREON BCise.
Please click here for Medication Guide, and click here for Full Prescribing Information for BYDUREON Pen.
You may report side effects related to AstraZeneca products by clicking here.